This sweet potato taco recipe has become a favorite in our family. Dusty and I love to add it regularly to our menu for the week and we typically can give Rowan a deconstructed version with a side of ground beef or chicken. The ingredients are super simple and easy too! I can guarantee, if you’re a sweet potato fan, you’ll love this!
- Softshell tortillas (we like Mission Tortillas)
- 5 medium sweet potatoes (will depend on # of people being served but 5 medium-size sweet potatoes seemed to work good for a family of 3 and allowed us to have a little extra for seconds
- 1 jar of Herdez Salsa Verde
- 1 can of black beans
- 3 medium avocados
- lemons/lemon juice
- garlic powder or fresh minced (your choice)
- 1 small white onion
- salt and pepper
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- Feta cheese (or cheese of choice)
- Sour cream
- southwest taco seasoning (or seasoning of your choice) I bought this bulk order from Amazon to keep in my pantry.
Step 1: Remove skin and chop sweet potatoes into small cubes, spread out on a cookie sheet or in cast iron skillet. Drizzle with olive oil and toss around. Sprinkle on a half packet of taco seasoning (or full packet if you really love the taco flavor) bake at 375 until sweet potatoes are tender and can be poked through with a fork.
Step 2: First I get the salsa verde and the black beans cooking in a pan on low – it will thicken as it cooks, this is a good thing! Just keep stirring and don’t let it burn/get stuck to the pan.
Step 3: Prepare your guacamole. Mashup inside of avocados, add 1/2 of a diced white onion, 1/2 tbsp garlic powder or minced garlic, salt and pepper to taste, 1 tbsp lemon juice. Chop up some cilantro and add to guac. Mix together.
Step 4: Prepare your taco! Warm up a tortilla in the microwave or in tinfoil in the oven (but not too long or it will burn). Add potatoes, black beans and salsa, feta or cheese, guac, and sour cream. Sprinkle some extra cilantro on top – voila! Delicious and mouthwatering, you’ll love it! You can also eat this mixture on lettuce as a taco salad.
Let me know if you tried it and loved it in the comments below!