It’s that time of year. Things feel dull and cold. Oh so cold. The snow has been around for what feels like forever, and I feel like my closet is lacking the luster I so desire it to have as I keep shuffling through cardigan after cardigan. I’m convinced that I just need to see what I have in a different way…a new light. I need to get creative and try to mix and match items a bit more. So I bring you – the Mid-winter 10×10 Style Challenge. I’d love to say that I came up with this idea, but alas, I did not. You can thank the lovely blogger Lee, with the blog Style Bee. She’s the one who came up with this grandiose idea. And other bloggers like myself are jumping on the bandwagon and giving it a try.
SO, how does the 10×10 style challenge work you ask? Well, the goal is to choose 10 items from your closet, create 10 looks, and wear them 10 days straight. Most might read that and think – how does that generate creativity – you’re so limited? But the point is to think outside the box and get creative. To imagine the items you already own, in a new way.
Anyone can try it out! If you’re a professional going to work every day, a stay at home mom, student, etc. Here are the rules and some tips to help you get started.
1) Only 10 items, this includes tops and bottoms. Some people like to include shoes, but I’m considering shoes an accessory because of the limited weather we have in the mid-west right now.
2) You can use unlimited accessories to help jazz things up.
3) Mix and match the 10 items you’ve chosen to create 10 looks…for 10 days. No cheating! Aside from your undergarments and any camisoles, no adding items!
- Pick things that will mix and match well together.
- Consider complimentary colors, patterns, and textures.
- When you select an item, envision how it will match or “layer” well with another item.
- Select bottoms that are multifunctional – i.e. a classy pair of black denim jeans (without tears) can be worn perhaps to work, and out for the evening.
- Consider items that serve a dual purpose, i.e. can be dressed up or down with the simple change of accessories.
Below are the items I’ve chosen.
3/4 Layer Cardigan – Target
Black and White Polka Dot Blouse – Forever 21 similar here and here
Chambray Button Up – similar
Dusty Pink T-shirt – Target (only $8!)
Striped T-shirt – Target (only $8!)
Duster Cardigan – Nordstrom similar
Purple Longsleeve – Cleo Madison
Silk T-shirt – Eileen Fischer
High Waisted Denim – Hudson Jeans
Black Denim – Joe’s Jeans
You can buy the bamboo hanging rack right HERE for only $39.99!