Don’t think I’ve forgotten about you! Here we are with step 4 of the Capsule Wardrobe is a lot of fun. Identifying brands and favorite pieces. It may seem pretty self-explanatory just by the title – and it is! Let’s recap.
First, you downloaded and printed this Capsule Wardrobe Planner – right? If not, click here to do so.
Step 1: You organized, you purged, and you narrowed it down to your favorite pieces.
Step 2: You went through your favorite pieces and found themes and organized things into piles and categories.
Step 3: You charted your lifestyle using the capsule wardrobe planner pie chart to get an idea of how much time you spend in each clothing category.
In step 4, you’ll want to now take note of the different brands that curate your closet and wardrobe. Are there specific brands you go to more than others? What does that say about your sense of style and what you gravitate towards? For me, personally, my closet is more a resemblance of the budget I am able to shop within…so it contains brands like J.Crew Factory, Target (Mossimo etc.), Gap, Old Navy, TJ Maxx, and then a few specialty items that were “splurges” for me such as Joe’s Jeans, Hudson denim, Ugg, and Kate Spade.
- Identify the brands that seem to be your “go-to” brands.
- What do these brands say about your budget and what you’re willing to spend?
- Aside from perhaps the price tag, why do you like these brands?
- What brands do you occasionally like to splurge on?
- Are there any trends with the items you like to splurge on? More sweaters, purses, or shoes?
- How would you like to tweak things? What are your goals? (i.e. – would you like to see yourself cut back on spending and be more thrifty? – would you like to see yourself invest in a few more good quality items and less cost saving items?)
Use step 4 to get a really comprehensive list going on what you like and gravitate towards. This starts to round out your shopping list for the future and Step 5! I’ll also be sharing my capsule wardrobe items and favorites!
Other Posts in the Series:
What is a Capsule Wardrobe?
Step 1: Organize and Purge
Step 2: Find Common Themes
Step 3: Chart Out Your Lifestyle