This is one of those recipes that I stumbled upon one afternoon while browsing Pinterest and I am so happy I did because it soon became a favorite in our home. So simple and SO SO good. Perfect for a cold fall/spring or winter day. Not to mention it is pretty healthy for you too. It reminded me a lot of my Kale, Corn and Sweet Potato Soup!
1 18 0z can/jar Northern White Beans
1 large Butternut Squash
1 lb cooked Chicken Breast
2 lrg red or orange peppers
1 bunch Kale
1 lrg Onion
2 tbsp Salt
1 tbsp Pepper
1 tbsp Garlic Powder or/ minced
3 tsp Cumin
4 cups (32 oz) Chicken Stock
3 cups Water
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place chicken in oven until thoroughly cooked – approx. 40-45 min.
3. Place butternut squash and red peppers on a baking sheet and coat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake until you can pierce skin with fork/lightly browned. Remove from oven and set aside.
4. Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven or stock pot over medium-high heat. Add kale, garlic and cumin, season with salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Add onion and cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes.
5. Add beans, stock, water. Cook for 20 minutes. Add onion, kale and seasoning mixture.
6. Scrape out cooked flesh of butternut squash, slice peppers, and add to mixture.
7. Use a hand blender to puree the contents of the soup until desired consistency.
8. Cut up chicken breast to desired size and add to soup. Let cook for 20 minutes, stirring occassionally.
*add more seasoning to taste.
Serve with a side of warm bread and butter! Enjoy!