Makeup is one of those things that is love-hate for me. While I like to wear a little bit of makeup each day…there are some days I toss in the towel and don't put an ounce on, then there are other days where I go all out. It usually varies based on my mood and the amount of time I have to get ready. While my makeup application is hit-or-miss, the tools I use continue to be pretty standard and part of a system that works really well for me! The makeup I use can be applied darker or lighter…which makes them versatile for day or night. Here is a break down of my favorite everyday makeup essentials, a mix of drugstore items and higher-end buys.
1. Urban Decay Naked Pallette – This pallette was a recent splurge/purchase and I have to admit that it has worked wonders for simplifying my eye makeup game, or lack there of. But in all honesty it can't be beat. The colors blend together seamlessly and the lovely little application brush that comes with the set is perfection. I love the warm more matte tones that come with this pallette. Although I am greatly aware that they also have this one, this one and the newest…this one.
2. L'Oreal Paris Magic Lumi Highlighter – My current hairstylist is a genius when it comes to makeup, (hi Ali!) she knows all of the great drugstore brands and how they match up to the more expensive "higher-end" counterparts. She gives me some great advice when it comes to makeup and this little magician in particular was one of her recommendations…and I LOVE it. If I am feeling less like doing a full face and want to just brighten up under my eyes and around my chin and nose I will use this little guy and just blend a little bit in. If I am feeling like doing a full face of makeup I will use this on top of my foundation or at the end of my makeup application to highlight under my eyes and along the sides of my nose. For the price – so worth it!
3. Revlon Colorstay Liquid Eye Pen – I can't say enough good things about this eyeliner. I've always had a more shakey hand when it comes to applying eyeliner and the length of this pen keeps me from making too many errors. The color is rich and stays put! Great purchase for the price tag.
4. Make Up For Ever Mascara – I got this little goodie as a "gift" after purchasing my Urban Decay eyeshadow at Sephora. It was one of those "hey thanks for spending a shit ton of money on one item…here is a little something else to make you feel better and hopefully you'll love it and come back in and spend more money."….Anyway, they got me. Damnt. This mascara is extremely wonderful. I like a lot of different mascaras and can't say I am totally impartial to just this brand, but if you are looking for something new, I must say, this is worth it's weight in gold….which is pretty light…but you get what I mean!
5. Revlon Powder Blush – Nothing is more worth your money than Revlon blush. I especially love the coral and racy rose colors. Affordable and beautiful. Win. Win.
6. Urban Decay Eye Shadow Primer – When I first bought the Urban Decay Palette I loved it…but I noticed quickly that eyeshadow (no matter what kind you buy) will not stay put unless it has something to "hold to" enter Urban Decay Eye Shadow Primer…I put it on my lid before applying the eye shadow. I apply it at 8 a.m. or earlier and by the time I get home from work around 5 p.m. or later it looks as though I had just applied it! Now if that ain't makeup magic I don't know what is!
7. Tarte Matte Bronzer Park Ave Princess – This is my favorite bronzer to date. I swear I have tried a handful of bronzers with none that felt worth the money, but this bronzer is amazing and works wonders! There are some days when all I put on my cheeks and forehead are a few swipes of it and I feel like I look more "awake". The color is matte which makes it more "natural" looking and you can dust just a little on to create a low key look or build it on top of foundation for a more contoured look.
8. Jane Iredale Glow Time Full Coverage Mineral BB Cream – I learned about this brand after a group of women came to my former work place and did a "personal care" workshop and pampering session around the makeup line. I sampled the foundation and got to take a small bottle home to try. I loved it so much I've ben using it ever since…3 years later and I am still in love. This doesn't mean I won't venture out and test others, but if you want to try something wonderful, try this!
The next items I want to add to my makeup arsenal are a face primer for under my foundation or concealer and/or a setting powder or spray. Recommendations welcome!